Male Pattern Hair Loss
Male pattern hair loss is also known as androgenetic alopecia and male pattern baldness(MPB).
It is the most common type of hair loss seen in men.
It is usually caused by effect of male sex hormone, DHT (dihydrotestosterone), on the scalp hair. Testosterone is the main male sex hormone present in the blood. Testosterone gets converted into Dihydrotestosterone around the scalp hair, by the action of enzyme 5 alpha reducase on testosterone. This DHT causes shrinkage of existing hairs leading to formation of shorter and finer hair, which ultimately fall off. Over the period of time, new hairs also stop growing.
Genetic predisposition towards MPHL is also seen.
- It usually starts with thinning of hair and recession of hairline from the front. The hairline gradually moves backward (recedes) and forms an “M” shape.
- Male pattern hair loss also affects the crown of the head with thinning and eventual disappearance of hair.
- Eventually loss of hair from the front merges with the balding crown and creates a U-shaped (or horseshoe) pattern of hair around the sides of the head.
- It can be given different grade depending on the time at which patient consults a dermatologist.
A dermatologist can easily detect it by just looking at appearance and pattern of hair loss.
Many patients donot opt for treatment as they are comfortable with their appearance and also it doesnot cause any harm to the body. For those who want treatment, following options are available
- Lotions(containing combination of medicines) – It is available in different strengths and is usually the first treatment offered to the patient. It is applied directly to the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles. It slows hair loss for many men, and some men grow new hair. Hair loss returns when you stop using this medicine.
- Tablets(to stop the conversion of testosterone to dihydroestosterone) – It can be taken orally as a pill and can also be applied on the scalp in solution form. It blocks the enzyme 5 alpha reductase. Hair loss returns when you stop using this medicine.
- Hair transplant – It consist of removing hair from back of the scalp and placing them in areas that are balding. This is usually permanent.
- Hair weaving, hairpieces, or change of hairstyle may disguise the hair loss. Medicines have to be continued as long as the effect is desired. Although hair transplant is permanent, medicines are still required to prevent the fall of existing hair.
Male pattern hair loss represents a type of permanent hair loss which does not indicate a medical disorder, but it may affect self-esteem of the person or cause anxiety. You can WhatsApp your image to +91 9821622240 to find the exact cost of your transplant.