Female pattern hair loss
Female pattern hair loss is a type of hair loss which occurs in the form of:
- Hair loss located over the top of your head with preservation of hairline. (Ludwig scale)
- Widening of partition. (Olsen scale)
- Male pattern hair loss (in some cases)
Diagnosis of Female Pattern Hair Loss
- Usually clinical examination is sufficient to make a diagnosis in female pattern hair loss.
- Any associated features indicative of underlying hormonal imbalance such as menstrual irregularity, unwanted hair growth on face, pimples, weight etc are seen.
- A skin biopsy may be required in some patients to confirm the diagnosis.
- In addition, few blood tests and ultrasonography may be required to rule out any hormonal imbalance, nutritional deficiencies, poly cystic ovarian disease etc.
Treatment Options for Female Pattern Hair Loss
- Medical therapy
- lotion application
- Oral drugs in selected cases.
- Hair Growth Treatment
- Correction of nutritional deficiencies if any (iron, vitamin supplements).
- Surgical treatment
- Hair transplant by Follicular unit extraction (FUE) or Follicular unit transplant (FUT).